In 2006 Montenegro's parliament declared independence from the State Union of Serbia and Montenegro. In 2008, the new country applied for EU membership.
In 2010, the Commission issued a favourable opinion on Montenegro's application, identifying 7 key priorities that would need to be addressed for negotiations to begin, and the Council granted it candidate status.
In December 2011, the Council launched the accession process with a view to opening negotiations in June 2012.
The accession negotiations with Montenegro started on 29 June 2012.
After eight years of accession negotiations all the 33 screened chapters have been opened, of which 3 are provisionally closed.
Factsheets and Factographs available to download:
- October 2020Commission proposes Economic & Investment Plan to support and bring the Western Balkans closer to the EU.
- 30-06-2020Negotiations are opened on Chapter 8: Competition policy.
- 10-12-2018Negotiations are opened on Chapter 27: Environment and climate change.
- 25-06-2018Negotiations are opened on Chapter 17: Economic and monetary policy.
- 11-12-2017Negotiations are opened on Chapter 2: Freedom of movement for workers and Chapter 3: Right of establishment and freedom to provide services.
- 20-06-2017Negotiations are opened on Chapter 1 - free movement of goods and Chapter 22 - regional policy and Negotiations are provisionally closed on Chapter 30
- 13-12-2016Negotiations are opened on Chapters 11 - Agriculture and rural development and Chapter 19 - Social policy and employment.
- 30-06-2016Negotiations are opened on Chapters 12 – Food safety, veterinary and phytosanitary policy and 13 – Fisheries.
- 21-12-2015Negotiations are opened on Chapters 14 – Transport policy and 15 – Energy.
- 22-06-2015Negotiations are opened on Chapters 9 – Financial services and 21 – TENs.
- 30-03-2015Negotiations are opened on Chapters 16 – Taxation, 30 – External relations.
- 16-12-2014Negotiations are opened on Chapters 18 – Statistics, 28 – Consumer and health protection, 29 – Customs Union, 33 – Financial and budgetary provisions.
- 24-06-2014Negotiations are opened on Chapters 4 – Free movement of capitals, 31 – Foreign, security and defence policy 32 – Financial control.
- 31-03-2014Negotiations are opened on Chapters 7 – Intellectual property rights, 10 – Information society and media.
- 18-12-2013Opening of rule of law Chapters
Opening of rule of law Chapters: Chapter 23 – Judiciary and fundamental rights and Chapter 24 – Justice, freedom and security. Negotiations are opened on Chapter 5: Public procurement, Chapter 6: Company law and Chapter 20: Enterprise and industrial policy.
- 18-12-2012Accession conference - First chapter provisionally closed (Science and Research).
- 29-06-2012Accession negotiations with Montenegro started on 29 June 2012.
- 26-06-2012The European Council endorsed the Commission's assessment.
The European Council endorsed the Commission's assessment that Montenegro complies with the membership criteria and can start accession negotiations on 29 June 2012.
- 09-12-2011Council launches accession process with Montenegro in a view to open negotiations in June 2012.
- 17-12-2010Council confirms Montenegro as candidate country.
- 01-05-2010Stabilisation and Association Agreement (SAA) enters into force.
- 19-12-2009Visa requirement lifted for Montenegrins visiting the EU.
- 15-12-2008Montenegro applies for EU membership.
- 01-01-2008Agreements on trade and trade-related matters , visa facilitation and readmission enter into force.
- 15-10-2007Stabilisation and Association Agreement (SAA) signed in Luxembourg.
- 22-01-2007Council adopts European Partnership for Montenegro.
- 03-06-2006Montenegrin Parliament declares independence following 21 May referendum, in which 55.5% of participants voted in favour of independence.