In 2008 the EU repeated its willingness to assist the economic and political development of Kosovo through a clear European perspective.
The EU helps contribute to stability in Kosovo through the EULEX rule of law mission in Kosovo and Special representative in Kosovo .
More information on the country's relations with the EU
Factsheets and Factographs available to download:
- October 2020Commission adopts an Economic & Investment Plan to support and bring the Western Balkans closer to the EU.
- February 2020Revised methodology, presented by the Commission, to drive forward the enlargement process with a stronger political steer and in a more credible, pre
- 01-07-2018Commission confirms that Kosovo has fulfilled all outstanding visa liberalisation benchmarks. Decision on Commission’s proposal is pending in the EP.
- 01-04-2016The Stabilisation and Association Agreement between the EU and Kosovo enters into force.
- 25-07-2014The EU and Kosovo chief negotiators initialled the Stabilisation and Association Agreement between the EU and Kosovo in Brussels.
- 19-10-2012High-level dialogue between Kosovo and Serbia as facilitated by HRVP Ashton begins.
- 10-10-2012Commission issues its feasibility study for a Stabilisation and Association Agreement between the EU and Kosovo.
- 10-09-2012Kosovo declares the end of supervised independence.
- 14-06-2012Commission issues Kosovo's visa liberalisation roadmap.
- 30-05-2012Commission launches the Structured Dialogue on the Rule of Law.
- 19-01-2012Commission launches the visa liberalisation dialogue with Kosovo.
- 08-03-2011Following a UN General Assembly Resolution the Kosovo-Serbia technical dialogue begins.
- 22-07-2010The International Court of Justice issues advisory opinion on Kosovo's declaration of independence.
- 14-10-2009Commission issues communication 'Kosovo-Fulfilling its European Perspective'.
- 09-12-2008EULEX becomes operational.
- 15-06-2008Kosovo adopts its Constitution.
- 18-02-2008Council acknowledges Kosovo's declaration of independence, underlines EU conviction that Kosovo is a sui generis case.
- 04-02-2008Council adopts Joint Action establishing EU Rule of Law mission in Kosovo EULEX.
- 01-02-2006UN Special Envoy launches status negotiations.
- 01-04-2005Commission adopts a communication on "A European Future for Kosovo".
- 01-11-2000Zagreb Summit launches Stabilisation and Association Process (SAP) for 5 countries of south-eastern Europe.