The European Commission has adopted a €103.3 million package to support Albania. The approved programme focuses on core issues for EU accession such as the rule of law, fundamental rights and good governance. In addition, assistance is provided to further address the consequences of the COVID-19 crisis.
EU Commissioner for Neighbourhood and Enlargement, Olivér Várhelyi, commented: “The European Union continues to stand by Albania. In the face of the COVID-19 crisis, we have made adjustments to the existing funding to help Albania withstand the current social and economic challenges. At the same time, the EU funds aim at supporting the key reforms Albania needs to implement to move forward on its European path.”
The programme includes actions to strengthen the rule of law and the fight against organised crime and corruption, by improving the capacity of the Special Prosecutor for Anticorruption, the National Bureau for Investigation, and the independent justice institutions.
Funding is also allocated for developing a dynamic land market in Albania, through the establishment of a clear property rights framework. The package also continues supporting improvement of the capacity of public sector to respond to citizens’ and businesses’ needs. The programme will operate both at the national and local levels.
The EU will continue to support Albania’s participation in EU programmes such as Erasmus+ and Horizon2020.
Finally, the current package complements other COVID-19 related measures put in place for Albania by the EU, by extending support to businesses and the overall economy.
The 2020 Annual Action Programme for Albania comprises seven actions:
- EU for Good Governance (€ 48.1 million)
- EU support for participation in Union Programmes (€ 1.5 million)
- EU Integration Facility (€ 8.3 million)
- EU for Rule of Law (€5 million)
- EU for Property Rights (€ 5.7 million)
- International Monitoring Operation (IMO) Phase II (€ 8.7 million)
- EU for Economic Recovery (€ 26 million)
Following the COVID-19 outbreak, existing EU funding was reoriented with the twofold objective of helping Albania acquire emergency health supplies and equipment, and of addressing the social and economic fallout of the crisis. The COVID-19 package for Albania amounts to € 50.65 million. The € 103.3 million IPA 2020 programme contributes to the COVID-19 package with the € 26 million EU for Economic Recovery action. In addition, the COVID-19 package includes:
- €4 million to address the immediate needs for medical supplies and equipment. Funding comes from the IPA 2017 programme.
- €20.65 million to top up an existing EUR 50 million Social Inclusion Programme under IPA 2019.
This programme includes an additional allocation of €28 million, granted to reward the progress of Albania in the implementation of reforms.
For More Information
- Publication date
- 12 November 2020
- Directorate-General for Neighbourhood and Enlargement Negotiations